Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles



Here we go - Week #5 of the Twelve Weeks of Christmas Treats and I decided to make a batch of Pumpkin Snickerdoodles.

I still remember the first time I ever ate a snickerdoodle.  I was probably about 8 or so and someone had kindly made us a batch.  I took one bite and thought it was the most delicious cookie ever.  You can bet I went and grabbed a second cookie after that, and maybe a third. 

Years later, I fell in love with pumpkin.  Once that happened, I just had to have the pumpkin version of everything - scones, breads, cookies, cake - you name it, I'll take it.  In my opinion, a little pumpkin makes everything twice as good (okay, maybe not everything, but certainly in most cases).

So, when I saw that there was a pumpkin version of snickerdoodles, I just knew that I had to make them.  And boy was I glad I did.  They have all the goodness of the classic snickerdoodle - the chewy cakiness and the sweet spiciness - and, in addition, they also have that added punch of pumpkin, which like I said makes everything better.  Put it all together and you've got a cookie that is tailor-made for autumn and for your pumpkin-loving tastebuds.

 

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles (adapted from Annie's Eats)

 3¾ cups all-purpose flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
¾ cup pumpkin puree
1 large egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract

For the coating:
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground ginger
Dash of allspice

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Whisk to blend and set aside.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.  Blend in the pumpkin puree.  Beat in the egg and vanilla until incorporated.  With the mixer on low speed add in the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated.  Cover and chill the dough for at least 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.  Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.  Combine the sugar and spices for the coating in a bowl and mix to blend.  Scoop the dough (about 2½ tablespoons) and roll into a ball.  Coat the dough ball in the sugar-spice mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet.  Repeat with the remaining dough to fill the sheets, spacing the dough balls 2-3 inches apart.  

Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until just set and baked through.  Let cool on the baking sheets about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  Repeat with the remaining dough.  

Note:  The flavor in the cookies deepens with time, so they're even tastier the next day.  

11 comments:

  1. I baked some like this and they were out of this world! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love snickerdoodles too! Yours look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to add pumpkin to snickerdoodles! These sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omgosh, what a great idea! I have never thought of adding pumpkin to snickerdoodle dough, but that sounds fabulous. What a fun variation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pumpkin and cinnamon are best friends - I'm sure these are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snickerdoodles are my husband's favorite cookie and I love anything pumpkin-these are an amazing combination! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I have been wanting to try pumpkin snickerdoodles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look simply delicious Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't think my fav cookie could get any better! Yum me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so yummy! Snickerdoodles are my favorite cookie and I am so excited to try this version! I would love if you would come share it at my new linky party, FriDays Made Sweet! at CupcakesWithSprinkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not sure I've made pumpkin snickerdoodles, I know, you'd think I'd remember, but now I must. I just made pumpkin cookies tonight, which means I just opened a big can. ;)

    ReplyDelete