Friday, April 12, 2013

Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting

 
 

I've heard so much about baked goods made with sweet potatoes - like pie and cupcakes.  However, I've never tried them before, though I have eaten baked goods made from purple Okinawan sweet potatoes or Korean sweet potatoes.  People always say that it tastes a lot like stuff made with pumpkin.  Well, you know how much I love pumpkin, so I was sure I was going to love these cupcakes.  Plus, sweet potatoes were on sale, so it was definitely time to make them.

I' m not sure how well pureed other people get their sweet potatoes, but mine still had a lot of little chunks and bits in the mixture.  I wasn't sure how that would affect things, but decided to just go with it.  Knowing how I like things spicy, I also decided to double the amount of cinnamon in the recipe and added some ground ginger as well.

 

The cupcakes, first of all, smell amazing.  It's a sweet, spicy scent that's like pumpkin and yet not like pumpkin.  It just smells rich and golden.  As for those tiny remaining chunks of sweet potato, they melt right into the cake and you won't even know they're there anymore, except that you have a cake that is supremely moist and full of sweet potato flavor that will knock your socks off.  I never knew that sweet potato cake could be so good.  I'm a believer now.  As for the marshmallow frosting, it goes hand in hand with these cupcakes - think candied yams with lots and lots of marshmallows on top (oh yeah).  Sweet potato - you rule!   


Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting
(adapted from How Sweet It Is)

1 1/3 c. loosely packed brown sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
6 oz. cooked, mashed sweet potato (about 3/4 cup)
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (I doubled this to 1 tsp.)
3/4 tsp. ground ginger (I added this)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. milk (I used 1/4 c. plain yogurt + 1/4 c. water)

Frosting:
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. marshmallow fluff (7 oz. jar)
3 c. powdered sugar (I decreased this to 1 1/2 cups)

Preheat oven to 350F.  Line a cupcake pan with liners.  

In a large bowl, whisk egg and sugar together until combined and no lumps remain. Add in vanilla extract and butter, then whisk in sweet potato. Add in flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, then add in milk and stir until combined and smooth. Fill each cupcake liner about 3/4 full.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cupcakes are set and spring back at the touch. Let cool completely before frosting.

For the frosting:
Beat butter in the bowl of electric mixer until creamy. Add in fluff and beat for 2-3 minutes, then add in vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until fully incorporated. Once all the sugar has been added, beat on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes. If mixture if too runny, add a bit more sugar. If it’s too thick, add a bit of milk one teaspoon at a time. Frost cupcakes as desired. 

17 comments:

  1. These sound great. Love the spices in them and i love sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound delicious! The sweet potato gives me a good excuse to eat them:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm! This sounds so good and I love the idea of a hidden veggie in there. I just got a food processor and this would be a fun way to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed at these - I'd never heard of baking anything with sweet potatoes but yours look and sound so delicious! I'm going to have to give these a go..So glad to have found your lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to make sweet potato cupcakes! These sound so amazing! Can't wait to try the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These add a whole new dimension to eating my vegetables! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think sweet potatoes work with anything and this is a great way to use it. I made a sweet potato soup recently and that natural sweetness is dream-like. I have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet potatoes are my favorite. I made a muffin, but have not tried a cupcake. I'm sure these are great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I love sweet potatoes in baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh this looks so moist and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum. This cupcake looks so delicious! Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Lisa, these cupcakes look good and sound great.

    I'm hosting a giveaway on my blog. I'd love for you to stop by and be a part of it!!! http://www.myhobbielobbie.com/2013/04/a-few-of-my-favorite-things-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Incredible points is found below using excellent content material, superb way with words-at all. I do not recognize how put it into practice but don’t stop! For those as if you occur on the internet.
    Best Dining Bars Restaurants Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really appreciate this post. which might be very useful
    for all of us.thanks for sharing keep it up.


    Healthy Cooking Long Island

    ReplyDelete